BRAISED SHORT RIBS WITH RED WINE SAUCE
Total Recipe Time: 2-1/2 to 3 hours Makes 4 servings
- 2 pounds beef Short Ribs ( We usually try to choose about 6 very meaty short ribs boneless ones work well too)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) double-strength beef broth or beef consommé
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup dry red wine
INSTRUCTIONS Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef Short Ribs on all sides. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Add broth, 1 cup wine, onions, garlic and thyme to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove Short Ribs from stockpot; keep warm. Strain vegetables and skim fat from cooking liquid. Reserve 3/4 cup cooking liquid for sauce; discard remaining cooking liquid.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots and minced thyme; cook and stir 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add reserved cooking liquid and cornstarch mixture to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes; stirring often. Remove skillet from heat; stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Serve sauce over Short Ribs.
- Large Stockpot
- To cook in a slow cooker, add beef, salt and pepper, as desired, broth, 1 cup wine, onions, garlic and thyme to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours, or LOW 8 to 10 hours, or until beef is fork tender. When the beef is done, continue instructions for sauce preparations beginning in step 2.